Sunday, July 6, 2008

Carolyn Ziegler and the Patty/Leonard family

I saw Carolyn this afternoon at Select something-or-other, the "new" hospital in the 1500 block of Walton Way. She moved there on Independence Day, and she's exercising her freedom, more surely each day.

She is hearing, and she is responding. She's waved, she smiles in response, she can watch. Seems to me she's stuck inside a body she wants to control, inside a mind she wants to fine tune, but she's finding her way. She had a huge grin when I commented about how she would never have guessed that Dennis would be proving his love in this way, as he attended to her legs, rearranging her feet under the sheet and encouraging her to push her legs against a pillow. Before I left, I told Dennis that she had to be annoyed with being stuck in the hospital bed, and she nodded in agreement!

I haven't spoken to Gail since July 3rd, but Michelle had come to visit with the children, and that had gone well.

How thankful these families and their friends and caretakers are.

No comments: